If you want to take a trip to paradise, Himachal Pradesh is your destination. The beautiful landscapes and the plentiful adventure sports will make a memorable trip. Now that you’ve decided to come here, the next step is to prepare. Here are some important tips for you to prepare for your trip!
Keep Documents Handy
Whenever you’re traveling, it is best to keep documents handy. Make sure you carry identification proof, including your Aadhaar card. It is best to carry a few photocopies as well since you might need to deposit those at some places. The smaller town may not provide for photocopying facility. Be sure to have print-outs of various tickets and bookings.
Check the Weather
This is very important. Various districts in the state have a varying temperature. Be sure to check the weather so that you pack your clothes accordingly. The lower-lying areas like Una&Solan tend to be warm in the summer. So you don’t want to carry sweaters and jackets. Similarly, locations like Spiti remain cold throughout the year, you will need woolens. If you’re traveling in the monsoon season, check for rain. Rainfall can make places cooler than usual. Additionally, you’ll want to carry raincoats and Umbrellas. Don’t forget the extra pair of socks in the monsoon!
Check the reviews of the hotel before you book it. While hotels cater to most facilities, in smaller cities, it can be difficult. Smaller establishments may not be able to cater to additional needs like extra beds and heaters. If you’re likely to need add-ons, check beforehand.
Whenever you’re in a new place, be sure to find out the emergency contact. Ideally, you should write them down and keep it in your wallet. You can also save them in your phone. If you’re doing a road trip, this step is crucial. Some parts of the state can be deserted. If you’re stuck in a problem, you will need emergency services.
Carry Your Own Water Bottle
Plastic is a menace that’s destroying nature everywhere. In the hills and the valleys, plastic waste is a bigger problem. Make sure you carry your own bottles to store water in. Water is an important resource, especially in the hills.
Other Common Tips
- When you’re near a water body, be careful at the water’s edge. The streams in Himachal often have a strong current. Be cautious, especially when taking selfies.
- Carry cash, in small denominations. In recent years, the trend of paying through online wallets has increased. However, the internet network cannot always be relied on here. In the smaller cities, the network often supports 2G only. So you won’t be able to access these wallets.
- If you’re going for a trek carry a flashlight and spare batteries. This will be handy in the dark.
- Carry your power bank and charge it whenever possible.
- Carry a first-aid kit with basic medicines.
- Carry sunscreen to prevent tanning. Make sure you also have sunglasses. In the higher altitudes, the sunlight reflecting from snow and ice can hurt the eyes. This is where sunglasses will help.